Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Fromm and existentialist books and essays for Kindle!


I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to post the exciting news here. In the past couple of months, Open Road Media has published a large selection of Erich Fromm’s books for the Kindle. It looks like about half came out at the end of February and half at the end of March.* You can read older ones like Escape from Freedom



and Man for Himself



as well as later works like Greatness and Limitations of Freud’s Thought



and many more.

Another publisher, Now and Then Reader, offers some great essays, such as De Beauvoir’s “An Eye for an Eye”



and Sartre’s “Paris Under the Occupation”



I’m really enjoying these Kindle Singles. Come to think of it, I guess I always thought that would be the best benefit of the technology: to enable people to have quick and easy access to free or inexpensive shorter works of interest.

*When I’m feeling suspicious, I wonder whether this release wasn’t coordinated with the publication of Friedman’s Fromm biography…

2 comments:

  1. As I'm somewhat limited in funds and can only afford one at a time, which Fromm book would you recommend I start on?

    Thank you so much for this. I've found your series on Fromm fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    That's an excellent question. I read them in a senseless nonorder, but I would recommend for the first three:

    1) Escape from Freedom
    2) Man for Himself
    3) Anatomy of Human Destructiveness

    Let me know your responses!

    ReplyDelete